is important to get the septic tank cleaned before the sludge level gets high enough so that any of the solid material at the bottom, or the semi-solid scum at the top can flow out into the drainage field. This will quickly clog the drainage pipes and the soil into which they drain.
Make certain there is live bacteria in your system at all times. The bacteria's job is to digest all organic waste matter in the system. If there is no bacteria in your system it will simply act as a holding tank for your waste. It becomes full, and natural digestion will not occur. That is when the system backs up.
Bacteria are killed off or overrun because of:
- excessive quantities of detergents, laundry waste, bleach, household chemicals, and caustic drain openers
- garbage disposal grinds which substantially increase the accumulation of solids.
- disposal of items not biodegradable in the system (plastics etc.)
- disposal of excessive amounts of grease and fats, which are biodegradable but need particular types of bacteria to digest them
- disposal of cigarette butts, sanitary napkins which are also biodegradable but are not readily decomposable
- too many people using a smaller/inadequate or failing system
If you have no bacteria in your system and you add enzymes to the system, it simply will not help and your system will still not work. Enzymes are simply a catalyst for bacteria. If there is no bacteria in your system, why use enzymes?
From time to time, you should add "l00% Natural LIVE ADULT BACTERIA" to your system. Do not add just any kind of bacteria. Call your septic professional. He can add adult live bacteria that are "FACULTATIVE," which will work with or without oxygen. (Please refer back to where we told you that "Bacterial Action Goes On At The Bottom Of The Septic Tank"). A facultative bacteria is one that would be useful in situations that have air and in situations where there is no air (anaerobic situations). The bottom of the septic tank has no oxygen and therefore needs anaerobic bacteria.
"PRO-PUMP" liquid-live adult bacterial cultures are "facultative" and "anaerobic." To the best of our knowledge, (and we have been producing this strain of "friendly bacteria"
for over 21 years) Ecological Laboratories is the only commercial manufacturer of this thiobacillus (purple strain) bacteria today.
This commercial strength facultative bacteria is:
- non-hazardous, non-caustic, non-pathogenic
- it is 100% natural, it is not genetically engineered or mutated
- it works aerobically or anaerobically
- it works with or without light
- it works in an environment of low-to-high acidity and low-to-high alkalinity
- it has a shelf life of 3-5 years
- it can be stored in all climactic regions. If frozen it keeps its integrity after thawing out
The bacterial populations have been determined by repetitive plate count to be in excess of 350 million organisms per milliliter. What makes PRO-PUMP so unique is that the adult bacteria in the jug are dormant and remain that way until it is poured into your system, then these adult live facultative bacteria will immediately revive and begin feeding and reproducing while attacking the organic waste matter in your pipes, septic tanks and leachfields. PRO-PUMP is authorized for sale in most states. Only four states require additional testing and further approvals. In three of the four states, where further testing was required, PRO-PUMP has been approved. They are:
Washington State Department of Health-approved.
Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection-approved.
Hawaii Department of Agriculture-approved. PRO-PUMP was tested in Hawaii for over two years.
The fourth state, Wisconsin, now has PRO-PUMP under final review.